Monday, October 5, 2009

'Tis a Puzzlement!

So I really want to know...do all genealogists carry the puzzle addiction gene? I mean, really, if you can't walk by a pile of jigsaw pieces without stopping, don't you think there's a problem? And isn't there something wrong with people who actually get quietly excited when they see a form with blank spaces in it (as long as they're confident they're going to know the answers that go there?). Now, I'm not saying that all the school forms at the beginning of the school year were a delight, but give me an incomplete family group sheet and an interested correspondent and I'll be content for half an hour!

Even my little hand-held electronic game holds some kind of power over me. It's a simple game of fitting descending shapes to complete a line, which then disappears. (My children could tell you the commercial name, but that's not important to me.) You know the game's always going to win; it's just a question of how many lines you can delete before it does.

What makes that fun? relaxing? Others wouldn't give it a second glance. Those into the bloody war games would find it infantile. But for me it is like the sherbet that cleanses the palate before the next tour of duty, the next task that needs to be completed in the day.

So I really do want to know. Am I weird or what? (My children do not have permission to answer that question!)

3 comments:

  1. No, you're definitely not the only one! I always have to solve the problem/game/puzzle ~ no matter what it is. Also, I can't walk by a jigsaw puzzle without fitting "a few" pieces in. Likewise, I can tell you the commercial name of the game you're referring to: Tetris, and I refuse to believe that the "computer" will always win. I know some day I will beat the computer... =)

    Caroline Pointer
    Family Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's why you're occasionally up until 2 a.m. thinking, "I can do it better this time!" Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big puzzle person here but more of the CSI type lately - not so much games or jigsaw puzzles or crosswords - I like to "investigate" and look for clues.

    ReplyDelete